Friday, October 13, 2006

Heard on Wednesday

My son skipped a class on Tuesday. Not his brightest moment. His schedule is done in blocks, he has the same classes twice in one day. It's a real Einstein moment to show up for the first class, but not the second. His logic probably went something like: I didn't have the major homework assignment to turn in this morning, so why bother going to the second class to review what I don't have.

I had to stifle the laughter after the exchange I had with my son. My baby is growing up and, dare I say it, showing actual signs of maturity.

Mom: "Son, I love you too much to let you go down that path. You're too intelligent to screw up by cutting class".

Son: "I was in the library and didn't hear the bell"

Mom: "Puuuhhhlease, don't insult my intelligence".

Son: (Throwing arms in the air) "I'm not a genius!"

Mom: "What does that have to do with cutting class?"

Son: "Mom, I'm 16. I'm going to screw up every once and a while." (grins)


He didn't complain or argue about his punishment either. He knows what he did was wrong and, he is dealing with the deserved consequences.

Is it possible that the Aliens who kidnapped my baby are losing their hold on him?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes you will see within the next couple of years that the aliens will have lost complete hold on your son... the beauty of growing up and realizing that parents aren't so bad... and that they really are on your side!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Suldog said...

Funny stuff. Some things will get better, some might get worse. Here's hoping it's all good for you.

KFarmer said...

Dont you just love it when they grin at you? (Mine heart would just melt) Ah, our boys- what little men in training they are :)

Magazine Man said...

See, and my reaction was: Ah yes, I remember having to switch tactics at 16 to disarm MY mom, and one of those tactics was to take just a teensy bit of responsibility for my actions--or at least say the words that made it sound like I was--so that I could get away with worse things in the future.

I don't know if that makes me a cynic or just a bad boy. But I DO know I like your son more than ever now!

Anonymous said...

And MM's comment brings up the question of whether or not your boys read the blog entries of his childhood (mis)adventures and furthermore if they feel inspired by them.

Sharfa said...

My son does not read my blog......that I am aware of. Yup - MM just confirmed my worst fears....it's all a manipulation game. Hell - he's been doing it since he was 3, why stop now!