Saturday, March 19, 2005

Can You Hear Me Now?

I have developed a tradition over the last few years. I text message my parents constantly when they are on vacation.
I'm very close to my parents, especially my Dad. We usually talk on the phone at least once a day. My parents are the best. I don't know where I'd be today without the help & support they have given me over the years.
They usually vacation in Florida for 3 weeks a year. Normally they take my elderly Grandparents with them. I don't know how much of a vacation that really is. This year is different though, they went on a cruise to the Florida Keys and Bahamas with my Mom's cousin and husband. I'm staying at their house Grandparent sitting. They have an In-Law apartment downstairs. My parents certainly deserve the break and I hope they're having a good time.
I send them funny little text messages daily, just to let them know I miss them and everything is OK here. Yesterdays was: "This is the first week in the last 5 months that we have not had snow. It's been 50 degrees the last 2 days. They are forecasting snow for your homecoming Sunday though. Smiles." Just a little dig.
My Dad has gotten in the habit of making a huge vat of soup every week for the Senior Center in our town. He makes a mean soup. I'm talking top shelf here - he uses top sirloin beef, scallops and lobster...Only the best. The seniors love it and rave to my Grandparents about it. Personally, I think he's just trying to buy his way in for when he reaches Senior status. In honor of that, today's message was: "Town Crier Headlines: Riot at Senior Center. Hostages Taken. Police Chief says their only demand is: We want soup! We want soup!"
I'm not sure if they are getting these messages being at sea. I send them from online and I keep getting a "message undeliverable". Who knows, maybe they'll pull in to port, pick up a signal and suddenly get 30 text messages.

No comments: