Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Synopsis of the last month or so

Son did graduate June 5th.
I had bought him a 1997 Ford Mustang as a graduation/birthday gift. A beautiful car, in mint condition with 80k miles on it. Now it looks like this:




Posted by Picasa

Since graduation, son stopped going to work.
He's been thrown out of the house 3 times.
He's overrun his checking account $300 (I am not paying it!)
He fell asleep at the wheel and totaled the car when he hit a telephone pole.
He wasn't injured.
He's stayed out all night, has been disrespectful & got arrested for B&E.
His bicycle was stolen, so now he has no wheels.

Generally - he's been putting me through the ringer.
He's currently at home. The attitude is marginally better, but that's only because he has nowhere to go, no means of support and no car to sleep in.
It was like someone flipped a switch when he graduated and he turned into this monster - someone I don't recognize.
He knows he's dancing on razor blades and if he screws up again he's on the street with a bag of clothes and that's it. I am not giving him any money.
He is waiting on a call from his boss - he does have his job back (which I will have to drive him to/from), so he can start working again.

I'm pushing him towards some form of military service. I'm not crazy about the idea, but at this point the boy needs to learn discipline, respect & he needs to grow the hell up. The thing is - with his current financial credit and getting busted for B&E - he'd probably be rejected. I can't take much more - so we're going to find out one way or another.

Just in case any of you were wondering - that's whats been going on the last month.

3 comments:

Suldog said...

God bless you.

I'm not in your shoes, so take this as you may, but if I hadn't had parents who carried me through such times, I would be dead today. Having a whole son with problems may be better than having one you can't speak to, for whatever reason.

Just a well-intended two cents, and probably all it's worth, too.

Anonymous said...

Holy shit.
First of all, thank god he wasn't hurt although a conk on the conk might be what he needs to straighten him out!
Some people need to learn things the hard way and it seems like your son might be one of those people. Be tough and firm with him. Stand your ground. He's an "adult" now and his behavior will result in "adult" consequences.
Damn kids!
If you need someone to vent to, email me. I'm here.

KFarmer said...

My goodness woman... I'm sorry that you've been going through all that. It just feels like it will never stop huh? But guess what? It will.

Remember this~ what he chooses to do is just that~ HIS CHOICE and you have no control over it once they get to a certain age. He can choose to be a stinky britches or he can tow the line like the rest of us.

I'm glad you are standing up to him and not paying for his mistakes. He should be accountable for his actions.

You did well and I'm so proud of you. Not too many parents have the backbone it takes to "help" their children see the error of their ways.

My thoughts and prayers with you~ as always.