Friday, September 23, 2005

Waiting....

There has been a development in my dog adoption. I received a call Tuesday from the lady about my reference at my vet. They don't have a record of me bringing my cats in. That's because I have not brought my cats in. They are indoor cats and I was told years ago by my vet (different than current one) that I didn't really need to bring them in unless they were sick - but they would have to get vaccinated if they ever were brought in.

This didn't jive too well with the lady in charge of adoptions. I relayed my history of pets and how I feel about them, to me they are family members, not pets. I offered to bring my cats in immediately for rabies vaccines if that would be required of me. She didn't want me to do that just yet - she needs some more time to think about if I would be a good adoptee parent or not....And she'd call me later in the week.

So I have been waiting to hear from her. I understand her position. She doesn't want to send the dog off to someone that wouldn't take care of him or provide annual checkups/proper medical care. It's very disappointing to me. I've waited 11 years - until I felt able to give the proper care and attention a dog requires. I've waited until I felt my son was old enough and responsible enough. I've waited until I was in a position that I could afford medical treatment if it is required. And I'm still waiting.......

I do hope I get a phone call today and I can pick up my boy tonight or tomorrow. I do hope the lady realizes that this dog will be treated like a member of the family. That I will provide whatever care necessary to keep him healthy and happy. Hell, if I will do it for my bird, of course I'd do it for a dog!

If I am not permitted to adopt Bugsy.......There are a lot of other Greyhounds out there that need good homes. Please, send a little positive mojo Bugsy's way so that he gets to make mine, his forever home. Thanks.

2 comments:

KFarmer said...

Mojo headed your way. I hope you get him but there are lots and lots of doggies out there. The right one will come to you.

Sharfa said...

Thanks Kathleen, that's what I've had to keep telling my impatient, ticked off son. He was enraged that the lady would dare think we wouldn't give a good home to Bugsy.
He couldn't understand how I could be glad that someone like "her" was looking out for the dogs welfare.