Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Introductions...

did not go as well as planned.

Son waited on the porch, whilst I corralled the felines to whom I am staff. Not an easy feat in itself. Propped on the couch with one under each arm in a firm hold, they were already pissed. Once Julietta made her entrance with muzzle in place, much hissing and growling ensued.

Poor Julietta, who had previous feline friends was quite offended at the rejection. She approached for a friendly sniff and was greeted by loud hissing in stereo. She backed away and put her head down. Cuddles, my fat calico kitty, proceeded to growl ferociously. This was a cat that had lived with a dog, albeit 11 years ago. She was the one I feared would run away. I was wrong. This crusty old lady (18) stood her ground. Her eyes were as big as saucers and her tail looked like she had been electrocuted, but she was loudly voicing her protest.

Tabitha, on the other hand (literally) was attempting to disappear into the cushions of the couch. This surprised me. Tabitha is the princess of the house. She gets extremely jealous of any attention I pay to Cuddles and will pounce on my poor senior citizen to let her know. She had dinnerplate eyes and a very big tail as well.

Luckily, neither cat bolted when released. Although they retreated to higher ground, they let the intruder know that this was their turf and they were not pleased.

Julietta kept a keen eye on the hostiles and gave them a wide berth.

3 comments:

KFarmer said...

hopefully this is only a show of the pecking order. once the girls understand that Julietta knows her place, maybe they will come around. sounds like the wonder dog took it all in stride and was pretty cool with it. i will keep my fingers crossed...

Sharfa said...

kfarmer - all are adjusting, it will just take a little time. I'll be posting more of the saga.

ME said...

Hope things are going well with the cats and the dog...
My cat wouldn't let us pet him for about a week after we brought home our dog... but now those two are best friends